Re: model 644 A ser # 167660 Spindle developed slight bind in one quaqdrant of rotation.

oscar kern <kernbigo@...>

If you are using the low speed set up check the gears for a metal chip in the gears

On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 12:16 PM, "'JOHN BUSCH ' jbusch@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

I had this happen recently.  Spindle bearings are the last thing you want to mess with.  My fix was to back off on the nut (slightly)  that controls spindle lateral movement.  I then got some light machine oil in the trust bearing interface.  All seems well now.

From: "steven_karvelis@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...>
To: SOUTHBENDLATHE@...
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 11:42:05 AM
Subject: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] model 644 A  ser # 167660 Spindle developed slight bind  in  one quaqdrant of rotation.

I was working with my lathe and the other day while indicating in some round stock noticed that the spindle was starting to bind in approximately 1/4 of it's rotation. This occurs in the same section of the spindle every time. I have kept the spindle lubricated while working and so i am puzzled as to what has created this situation I am in the last phase of of some work with my lathe so basically I'm at a standstill. I don't want to further any problems but I need to resolve this situation. I am going to break down the headstock for inspection but certainly would appreciate any input on diagnosing and resolving this problem. I am not familiar with the specifications for the lathe i.e. , id's and od's of the mating /matching parts. What am I looking for in this circumstance and what options might I have to get up and running making chips A.S.A.P. Thank you all.

Sincerely,

Steve Karvelis