Re: Cleaning up black iron pipe

Stephen Bartlett

Rick,

I turned schedule 80 black pipe years ago to make new driver tires for a model locomotive.

I used a home-made form tool of HS steel and managed to get a very good finish. The tool cut slowly, probably because of the geometry of the tool, but this was good as it was easier to make six of all equal diameter.

I think it is welded pipe but the weld was never apparent when turning the pipe and is not visible in the finished parts.

BTW are you descended from the Rev. John L?

Steve Bartlett

Rick Lathrop wrote:

Anyone turned black iron plumbing pipe? I want to use some for a project and turn the mill scale off.

Rick