Re: removing apron screws

john kling

Thanks it was the upper screws and I ultimately was successful. 

To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@..."
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2014 8:08 PM
Subject: Re: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] removing apron screws

By gunsmithing he means hollow ground blades.  Wheeler makes an excellent set - I got mine from Midway.
M

On Apr 21, 2014, at 7:33 PM, Steve Wells <wswells@...> wrote:

Jim is right, make sure it's a "gunsmith" type blade, no taper, nice fitting blade.
most normal screwdrivers are tapered, bad for cheeze head screws...:)
Steve

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2014 7:18 PM
Subject: RE: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] removing apron screws [1 Attachment]

I am not sure which screws you mean but I am guessing you mean the two slotted cheese head screws that hold the apron to the saddle.
You need a proper fitting tool, one just the width of the slot and just as long as the slot.
I made mine from a “Drag Link” socket available from Sears.
With this you can put a substantial amount of leverage on the screw and not have it slip if you haven’t buggered up the heads.
Jim B.

From: SOUTHBENDLATHE@... [mailto:SOUTHBENDLATHE@... ] On Behalf Of jkling222@...
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2014 6:44 PM
To: SOUTHBENDLATHE@...
Subject: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] removing apron screws

On a 9" workshop lathe I am attempting to remove the two primary screws on the apron. They have probably been in place for 75 years. I have tried among other things an impact screw driver (with a hammer); they don't budge. From the "new" apron, I see that they are right hand threads (I am not going the wrong way). Is the next step to (1) heat them with a torch, (2) drill them out or (3) something else?

Join SouthBendLathe@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.