Re: Darn you Taper Pins!!

john kling

Is there a single size of taper pins used on the workshop lathes?

From: m. allan noah
To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@..."
Sent: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 8:32 PM
Subject: Re: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Darn you Taper Pins!!

Drill it out with a drill 3/4 the diameter of the small side. You don't have to drill all the way thru, usually 1/2 or 2/3 of the way. Then you can drive it out with a proper sized pin drift in the hole.

allan

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 8:20 PM, Pat/Juke/Whatever... <chefjuke@...> wrote:

Almost done with my teardown of my 1944 South Bend 9a and have run into the taper pin from heck.

It’s the Taper Pin in the Cone gear in the center of the gear box.

First it wouldn’t budge and bent the cheap taper punch I had.  In trying to get SOME movement in the pin I hit the one proud side down in such a way that t mushroomed and then basically ground that side flush.

At this point both sides of the pin are ground flush, and difficult to see the edges of the pins.  Don’t have any gun or steel blue (will pick some up tomorrow) but in the meantime looking for any advice on how I should proceed.  This is the last piece of the teardown and I’m trying to not be overanxious and do something stupid, but it’s really frustrating that I can’t get this simple pin out of the gear.

Thoughts?

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody eats when they come to MY house!"