Re: Question for the group: What was....

eddie.draper@btinternet.com

It's a long time ago.  Dad was a metalwork teacher at the local technical secondary school in Grimsby in the 1960s.  Can't be certain how old I was, but probably about 8 when he acquired a flat bed Drummond.  I was taught to make an oscillating engine etc. and steam boat to fit it in as in Cassel's work books.  In my teens there was a Stuart Turner beam engine, the Drummond by this time having become a Myford ML7, which I still have at home.  I subsquently used it for creating a steam powered air compressor which I had to design in a hurry for a 2' gauge loco, using the only bought in parts - piston rings for a Clayton Dewandre air compressor as used on lorries.  That was the Myford's last big project, as I have since had access to bigger kit, but it still gets used for the most accurate work, as I bought a new 3 jaw for it, so work can be reversed in the chuck successfully.  It is just big enough for the coupling rod bushes of my current 2' gauge loco.

The first significant job done on the recently acquired 14.5" SB at the Golden Valley Light Railway has been 6 off Acme thread 1" x 5 tpi nuts for handbrakes.

My scariest moment was when turning the links for the parallel motion of the beam engine between centres to create a pleasing barrel shape.  Dug the tool in, the job bent in the middle and came flying out and hit  me right between the eyes.  Fortunately father always insisted on my wearing protective goggles, so I was completely unscathed.  "Scariest moments" thread anyone?

Eddie

To: SOUTHBENDLATHE@...
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2014 10:31 PM
Subject: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Question for the group: What was....

…the very first thing you made on your lathe?

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody eats when they come to MY house!"

Join SouthBendLathe@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.