3C vs 6K

David Rysdam <david@...>

For my decoder ring project, I think I want to use a pot collet (why are
they called that?) to clean up the back sides after parting. But I don't
want to chase down and pay for a 6K one.

In the mailing list archives, I find claims that the 10K spindle can
take a 3C collet, although you need a different closer because of
non-matching threads. (Online I've found claims that the collets are
totally different, but I guess I can trust the SB mailing list over some
guy on PM.)

However, I have the speed closer and I'd prefer not to give that up. Is
there an easy way to non-destructively modify that to be both 3C and 6K?
Can just the tube be replaced? This would be especially nice if I do a
mini-run of ~5 pairs of rings, which would be 30 pieces of similar
diameters. Wouldn't have to crank the handwheel all those times for each
piece...