Re: Another Newbie with a motor question...

Paolo Amedeo

Juke,
In theory, having too much power, you run the risk that you put the lathe under more stress that it was designed for without the motor bulging. Practically, this could be a concern only if your lathe is equipped with a V-belt, instead of the traditional flat belt. With flat belts the too much power could result in the belt jumping off more frequently under heavy cuts.
A 3PH motor runs generally smoother than a 1PH equivalent and that could be more or less reflected in the finish. However, the main advantages of using a 3PH motor today is that you get them relatively cheap, definitely cheaper than 1PH ones, and by using a VFD, you have the ability of infinite variations in speed, programming a softer start (that could help with belt tracking too, on the top of reducing the in-rush current), electric braking instead of just coasting, and many other nice features.
On eBay you can get a VFD+motor combo for less than $200 (e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/360866808497).

Paolo
Damascus, MD

On 03/26/2014 05:40 PM, Pat/Juke/Whatever... wrote:

What would be the downside of ‘too much’ hp?

Right now I am at single phase 110 volts..could upgrade to 1ph 220  if necessary…but not sure I see the benefits yet (remember, I’m a newbie, so I haven’t done more than basic testing the machine before purchasing it).

I’d be fine going for the ½ HP if I had a clear sense of how the difference in strength would affect me, one way or another.

-Chef Juke

www.chefjuke.com

"EVERYbody eats when they come to MY house!"