Re: O T Threads?

john kling

From Comments by Steve Wells I recall that the South Bend cross feeds screws were rolled threads.

From: "Thomas.G.Brandl@..."
To: SOUTHBENDLATHE@...
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 12:20 PM
Subject: Re: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] O T Threads?

Rolled threads are stronger. They basically, forge the metal. This makes the metal grains flow. So, it is stronger. I think cut threads are used for diameters over 1 inch, in production threads.
                                                                                        Tom

From:        Ed S
To:        SOUTHBENDLATHE@...
Date:        03/25/2014 12:08 PM
Sent by:        SOUTHBENDLATHE@...

Eddie,

Clarify... I thought cut threads are stronger then rolled threads
and cut threads take longer to make.

Ed S
"I see an old lathe and I want it painted black."

At 11:50 AM 3/25/2014, you wrote:

Agreed, except you got cut & rolled threads backwards.

Eddie