Re: 9" cross slide nut replacement

john kling

Is his assessment that the nut goes first right? Or should one start with the screw?  Does mr Wells still have screw stock available?

From: "dick.gazinya@..."
To: SOUTHBENDLATHE@...
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2014 11:22 AM
Subject: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] 9" cross slide nut replacement

I'm going to replace that cross slide nut. Tools4cheap has them. I have 35 thou back lash and it seems like a lot to me and in any event annoying to the point I rely on a dial indicator for cuts anymore. Just the nut at this point and not the screw ( I gotta believe a steel screw thread is going to experience less wear than a brass nut) Anyway I'm looking for instruction on how to replace it. This is what I've found "Take the cross slide off the lathe by turning the crank to move the cross slide backwards until the cross slide does not move any more. At this point you may need to loosen the gib screws. Then the cross slide will slide right off the lathe. At this point unscrew the screw in the center of the cross slide nut. You will notice that the point of this screw is cone shaped. This cone forces a retaining pin into the side of the cross slide nut hole. Lightly tapping the cross slide nut with a hammer will cause the pin to back out, then the nut can be removed from the cross slide" Is it this easy or are their other things to be aware of. Thanks