Re: Repairing a scored spindle ?

john kling

Would another lathe with a tool post grinder be sufficient for the grinding job?

From: Phillip Polk
To: SOUTHBENDLATHE@...
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 1:15 PM
Subject: Re: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Re: Repairing a scored spindle ?

Finding an Automotive machine shop with a crankshaft grinder who will grind the spindle ,less difficult than grinding a lawn mower crankshaft, then tin the brass bearing with tin solder and pour a babbit bearing overlay on that tinned brass bearing using a mandrel a bit smaller than the finish machined spindle. The result could be a better bearing surface than any lathe has ever enjoyed. That is the way it was done before ball/roller bearings and worked with less vibration, chatter and ran cooler with proper lubrication. Contemplate it !

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Ed S <eschwerkolt@...> wrote:

You will be lucky to get 900 to 1000 ..... no K after those
numbers ... straight RPM.

Ed S