Re: Hand lever collet closer

sblatheman

The HL collet attachment fits over the end of the spindle with a snug-slip-fit. A light polish to the end of the spindle should be all it takes for the SSF.
 The pin presses into the hole in the end of the spindle, the slot drives the collet attachment with the spindle. Use a little loctite to help hold the pin.

 The cone cover with the cast clearance for the lever arm is necessary.
You have to remove the collet attachment on the 9"/10K to open the end gear cover.

Ted

Yes it has the secondary taper in the front of the spindle. I bought some of the Chinese 6K collets from Toolsforcheap and made a handwheel collet closer for the 10K which worked fine until I bought some real Southbend collets and found out the Chinese threads were about .007 small. I made the closer to fit the Chinese threads now the real collets won't fit the closer. I am loath to try and pick up that internal thread and try to make the threads bigger. Now that I have the lever closer I'll have a much wider range of sizes to work with. It's not the bore that is the problem its the fit at the back of the spindle for the part number 16 that won't go on. I can push it on maybe a 1/16th and that's not easy. I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and file the back of the spindle down a tad. Now could this possibly not be a 10K closer? The threads on the end fit my 6K collets just fine but the length seems about a 1/4" short of what my han dwheel closer is.