From: crashbone256
To: southbendlathe@...
Sent: Thu, March 14, 2013 10:16:27 PM
Subject: [southbendlathe] Help with Moody 11 bull gear...

According to Tony's web site,
the Moody 11" is a clone of the SBL 9"
except for the height of the compound
and the height of the headstock.
Based on this, I bought a used one in Canada.

It is quite different than a 9".
It is an exceptionally heavy lathe, with very rough castings.
The bed is like a bridge and the headstock like a vault.
The spindle is much larger than the 9" and rolls
on MONSTER roller bearings, taper in the front,
straight in the rear.

The bull gear on mine has 6 broken teeth,
5 in a row, 1 isolated.

The dimensions of the bull gear are:
OD 4.865"
ID 1.494"
76 teeth, straight cut
tooth width 0.625"

Central hub:
OD 2.164"
thickness 0.932"
keyway 0.184"

Ted states this is not a 9" bull gear.

Can anyone tell me if this may be a 10", 13", 14" other SBL bull gear?

Any suggestion on how to repair 5 broken teeth in sequence?

I have done 2 in a row, but I am concerned that 5 may be too many for
the torque on the bull gear. Suggestions?