Re: Heavy 10 help needed

john kling

The bronze bearing seems to me to be the most attractive approach. Is there one made for the workshop size lathe?

From: Earl Horgeshimer
To: southbendlathe@...
Sent: Thu, January 31, 2013 9:20:46 PM
Subject: Re: [southbendlathe] Heavy 10 help needed

I made the modification to my heavy 10 a couple of years ago.  As I recall,  I had to take off about 50 - 60 thou from the take up nut in order to sandwich in two washers and a bearing.    If I remembere correctly,  I got the bearings from McMaster-Carr.  The bearing assembly was about .170 thick.  The price was somewhere around 10 bucks.  I was concerned about machining the cast iron take up nut so I bought a NOS one from Ted. I needed it to machine the other one.   I saved the old washer (kind of beat up) and the new nut so I can "restore" the lathe to original in the event I want to.    The benefit is that I no longer have to adjust that take up nut to remove the end play out of the spindle.   There doesn't appear to be any way to get oil to that bearing so I give it a shot of spindle oil every time I oil the lathe.   There were detailed instructions along with part numbers posted somewhere.   I just don't remember where.
Earl