Re: vintage South Bend dEngine Lathe / 8' Bed

rlm_mcv

The only disadvantage I know of in using a transmission is in belting it up the loads are different than in a car.  Belting the shafts  puts more sidethrusts on the bearings even with those loads it should last for years.  I had a 24" SB with a 12 ft bed it had an auto trans above the cone pullies and the trans was noisy from bad brearings but opperated fine.  Just keep grease in it.  The additional gearing provided speeds for any job desired as I could split each of the 4 cone speeds 3 times.  Oh the added wheigh makes it very top heavy.  You might want to remove the super structure before moving and hauling.  If it is a T92 serveral differnt things used the trans and parts should not be hard to find.  I think some IH garden tractors had it in the 1960-70's so it did not die with the crosley car.

To: southbendlathe@...
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2012 8:43 PM
Subject: Re: [southbendlathe] Re: vintage South Bend dEngine Lathe / 8' Bed

No, that make it more intriguing to me, but I want something usable - I won't have anything around that isn't usable and productive.  I want a lathe that may be a conversation piece, but it needs to contribute to the productive side of my life.  Otherwise, I'm not interested in spending the time, expense and effort to buy it, clean it up and restore if necessary.  If the tranny makes it usable that I just need to learn how to service and repair it.  . M. haught On 10/21/2012 8:23 PM, r m wrote:

Adding a car trans for gear reduction was a common practice.  It does not make a lathe unseable and often enhanced opperation.  But if you are after something 100% oringinal just to look at and talk about it may not be for you.

Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2012 8:17 PM

Okay, just did some research on the Borg Warner T92 transmission - what I'm buying is not only a dinosaur, but a Frankenstein Dinosaur!  The Crosley tranny is a 3 speed, so the lathe has three speeds and reverse, but no power feed?  I have to admit, I am intrigued so am going to look at it with my trailer in tow, but may not end up buying it.  Buying an antique that is serviceable is actually desirable, but sounds like I may be buying a mess with this machine.  I'll go look at it and check it out - I'll take a bunch of photos as it sounds like a unique machine.  M. Haught  On 10/21/2012 6:30 PM, r m wrote:

A Crosley car used a BORG WARNER T92 Transmission.  You can learn about Crosley cars here.  http://crosleyautoclub.com/

Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:10 PM

Please expand since I have no idea what a "Crossly transmission" is.  Since I bought it, I'm going to need to know as much as I can find out over the next few months as I begin to live with the old monster and try to get some utility out of it.  M. Haught On 10/21/2012 5:54 PM, Roger Paxton wrote:

It looks like it has an old Crossly transmission on it. rog

Join SouthBendLathe@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.