Re: Digest Number 722

gorvil

Ooops, I forgot to answer your other question. The keyway is .125
wide. I didn't get the depth measurement.

Glen

--- In southbendlathe@y..., "Glen Reeser" <Gorvil@a...> wrote:
Hi Anthony,

I was trying to be tricky with my digital caliper. I measured the
diameter of one of the holes for the gear post, set that as "zero"
on
the caliper and then measured the distance between the holes. It
would have worked if I'd measured outside edge to outside edge
instead
of inside to inside. Oh, well. Add 2 x 0.310 to my 0.983 makes
1.603.

The picture of Bert's apron shows that he is missing the clutch
parts.
Do we know if he has them or are they missing?

I have an extra reverser I could send him. This would not solve the
spindle problem. The metric gear problem would go away by changing
whatever gears he has access to between the stud and the gearbox.

Cheers!

Glen Reeser

--- In southbendlathe@y..., anthrhodes@a... wrote:
In a message dated 11/28/02 6:25:46 AM Pacific Standard Time,
southbendlathe@y... writes:

<< I know I promised you this info before, sorry, I got busy.
Anyway
here's
what I measured. >>

Thanks Glen. Got it, also the 2.72" measurement on your later
message.

Two questions here:

I would expect the center to center distance between FG and RG to
be
1.600".
Am I wrong or did you just flub?

You gave the CG keyway as .125", is that width or depth? What is
the
other
value?

I've done a bit of thinking about Bert's lathe, it may not be able
to salvage
the original reverse tumbler design. However, there is a solution
which is
relatively straight forward but it requires cutting the turning
off
the
original spindle gear and replacing it with one keyed to the
spindle.
Attached is a GIF of the alternative reversing gear which escapes
maintaining
the original center distances between gears and can use a
substantially
larger gear on the spindle. Trying to maintain the original 24
tooth
spindle
gear at 20 DP or 1.25 Metric Module was going to be extremely
difficult due
to the required keyway on a gear who's dedendum was barely greater
than the
spindle diameter.

Anyway, I'll have a few more questions to ask the group about
measurements of
the original reverse tumbler plate and how it's attached to the
headstock but
I'm getting a bit talked out at this point.