Re: Right spindle bearing questions -- 1939 9C "side oiler"

john kling

Is a bronze sleeve an option for a damaged journal?  I have read that there is not enough extra iron on the headstock to introduce any bearings. The discussion might have been limited to roller bearings.

From: john kling
To: southbendlathe@...
Sent: Fri, July 27, 2012 11:59:12 AM
Subject: Re: [southbendlathe] Re: Right spindle bearing questions -- 1939 9C "side oiler"

It has a single arm banjo (i have now purchased a two arm banjo). The gears that came with it were dp18  3/8 gears. The compounds are 5/8 bore and the change gears are 9/16. The bed is not a wide one. The serial is 74455. I used the probably  imprecise formula to calculate age (a table of known dates to bracket and perhaps interpolate from would seem better).  So I have concluded it an early workshop.