Re: SB 9 Cross Slide 7/16 X 10 Acme Nut Mise ry

gorvil

Hi All,

I found the document I was talking about. It was actually related to
end play in cross slide lead screws, but should be applicable to
compounds as well. Check the attachment in this list posting:

Shims would probably work, too. The slotted screw on the crank
should be tight or else it keeps working itself loose.

Glen Reeser

--- In southbendlathe@y..., "lurchix" <lurch@t...> wrote:
[total backlash]=[play in leadscrew fit to leadscrew nut] + [endplay
in leadscrew-to-bushing].

Slop in the screw-to-nut fit is just plain wear. Endplay slop in
the
leadscrew itself can be shimmed out. As to causes of the latter I
would look at thrust bearing wear first...

--- In southbendlathe@y..., "Walker, John (Sheerness)"
<John.Walker@a...> wrote:
Clint
I've been talking about the nut that retains the handle on the
compound
screw. I assumed that this could be used to adjust backlash.
According to
Glen R's post this is not the case and I will have to machine the
end of the
screw itself.

I haven't found the SB instructions Glen mentioned so if womeone
could point
me in the right direction, I'd be forever grateful.

John