Re: Another newbie and his lathe

sandykt2

Great to hear from you Tony.

I never thought I would get to this point but my shop is finally done.

My education came from British model engineers leaving behind a great legacy in the form of fantastic books. Off course I went 180 degree the opposite direction. Their mantra is build everything you need on a Myford and by the time you are done, you are a great machinist. It was a lot more fun for me to build a shop from scratch and finish everything at the same time. This way I got experience in everything. From pouring a pad to Welding, brazing, plumbing, electrical and restoring machines. The most gratifying part has been the details. Not only collecting great old tools but designing a shop where every place has a useful purpose and everything has a place. I have an excel spreadsheet with every drill bit, specialty cutter or tap as well as every piece of cold roll steel catalogued. I may not have time to step in the shop for months but when I do, everything is where it is supposed to be and covered. I take one cover off at a time and each machine is spotless. I leave them the same way.

It is a fun time.

Sandy

--- In southbendlathe@..., "Tony Skilton" <skilton.adscan@...> wrote:

Sandy,

Great to see you back - how are those machines of yours going?

That manual you sent me has been a great help - I have now managed to collect all the items my lathe was born with, except for the taper attachment (which may be a little too expensive for me to get down here). One day soon I will finally get the time to start the restoration, but my lad's '81 Corvette needs to be completed first, then I will have the room to begin my job, maybe about March next year.

Cheers
TonyS
Auckland

Sent: Saturday, December 05, 2009 6:17 PM
To: southbendlathe@...
Subject: [southbendlathe] Re: Another newbie and his lathe

Dennis:

Your message says it has 5 attachments. It has been a while since I checked out the group. I can't seem to figure out how to access the attachments. I assume they are the pictures you refer to.

I restored a 7B in original condition and am very proud of it although haven't had a chance to learn to use it yet.

Sandy

--- In southbendlathe@..., "Dennis Turk" <dennis.turk2@> wrote:

As you can see the color does not come out correct when you photograph things at night under florescent lights. The color is the dark Atlas gay. The countershaft and motor mount on this machine were the light gray like the horizontal mill I have. the other shaper I have the countershaft is light gray but the motor mount is the dark gray. Ya just never know. Owe the other shaper the two belt guards are also the light gray. Makes for a funny looking machine.

Turk
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, December 04, 2009 12:53 PM
Subject: Re: [southbendlathe] Re: Another newbie and his lathe [5 Attachments]

[Attachment(s) from Dennis Turk included below]

Hi Dale

No I am not on any of the Atlas sites for good reason. Yes I have restored all the Atlas lathes and know them well for what they are not. One of these days they will all be up on Tony Griffiths site in England and then I will not be able to hide any longer. I have two Atlas shapers my self both of which are or were in like new condition in original paint right down to there original Dickbelt V belts. I bet know one has ever heard of that brand and for sure you would not hear a name like that today. The shaper I am just completing is purely a cosmetic restore as it did not need any thing repaired or replaced. The second one I have is the same. Some day it will end up here in the home shop to be used and as such will only get a good cleaning. As you can see in one photo there is a repair to the countershaft step pulley but I have since acquired a new one and this one has been replaced. I have also just completed the paint work on the two cast iron legs and have the wood finished so this week end I will be completing the assembly and next week it will be moved up to Turk Mfg. for display.

Turk
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, December 04, 2009 8:01 AM
Subject: [southbendlathe] Re: Another newbie and his lathe

--- In southbendlathe@..., "Dennis Turk" <dennis.turk2@> wrote:

Hi Paul

If your ever in Hillsboro stop by Turk Mfg. and take a look in the front entry as this lathe is there as well as a number of others that I have restored. Next week if the weather holds I will be moving up the Atlas shaper I will have completed this week end.

Turk
Dennis,
I am supremely interested in what you're doing with the Atlas shaper. I have two of them, trying to make one that's good and complete, and the other will go for parts or be made to work but missing some non-essential pieces.

Would LOVE to see what you've done and any in-progress or finished pics!

Are you on the atlasshaperandmillingmachineusers yahoo group?

Dale

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4661 (20091204) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4661 (20091204) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4663 (20091205) __________

The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4663 (20091205) __________

The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.

Join SouthBendLathe@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.