From: southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Marvin Haught
Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2009 10:36 AM
To: southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [southbendlathe] SBL serial number 69TT170

Steve -

As of yesterday, I am looking at a 14 inch SB with I guess the 28 inch
center. It has a 3hp 3 phase, dro, follower rest, taper attachment three
chuck and backing plate and some other misc. equip. It is a pretty good
distance from me, but considered it has never been use for production
work and just in a home shop (guy bought it new and is only person to
ever use it), it should be pretty good for my use. I'm just concerned
about the length of the bed. It will work for 95% of everything I will
do, but I won't be able to do longer stuff on it.

Price is around $2,000 so I think it is reasonable. Opinions? I've got
to give him a call back tomorrow with my decision.

M. Haught

Steve Wells wrote:

There were 6 models of the CL146 in 1969, three in 28 inch centers and
three in 40 inch centers, the difference
being in wired voltage, 208, 230, and 460. All were 3-phase. 3hp . The
spindle through hole was 1-13/32.
Cam Lock D1-3 inch, #3 MT, 1300lb shipping wt. I just received a
Bulletin 7001 from 11/1969 from Bob Mutnansky
that introduces the new 14 inch lathe. I'll post it later today for
everyone to see.
//
/Steve Wells/

I have a new piece of literature on a South Bend Model CL146. It is a 14"
variable speed machine that South Bend started building in the late
sixties. It was 40" between centers, 1 9/16 spindle hole, 3hp, and D1-4
spindle nose. I might have missed it, is there a pic available?