From: Mel Gross
To: southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:38 PM
Subject: [southbendlathe] Re: New South Bend Lathe Company Update

Turk, I agree with what you're saying about POST WWII SB.

As I said, they decided to keep to a line of lathes way too long, and never got into the higher grade products. There was recently a 13" SB precision lathe for sale in eBay. Did you see that? It didn't look like any SB I've ever seen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290308599296

But before WWII, SB was considered to be a fine product for light weight lathes. I've got a lot of books from the 19th century through the mid 20th, and SB is mentioned as being a fine lathe from the period in which they were doing well.

But, it was based on product from the late 1890's, and though they modernized them over the decades, until the first Turnado in the fifties, which as far as I know, SB designed and built, their line was essentially the same as that from the 1930's.

Time passed them by. Some successful companies don't see that happening until it's too late.

Mel

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4089 (20090519) __________

http://www.eset.com