C to B to A Conversion

gorvil

Hi All,

Well I am half way through the conversion process. I milled a keyway
in the leadscrew for my 9" x 4' C and changed out the apron to a
clutch type with power cross feed that I got on E-bay. I had the
leadscrew here at work for several weeks waiting for our machinist
to help me but he could never get around to it. I finally took
matters into my own hands. I made a milling attachment from a Taig
headstock, a DC motor from a treadmill and a dimmer switch with a
full wave rectifier bridge. The Taig headstock is just the right
height to match the center of the SB when mounted on the cross
slide. Not having a steady rest, I made one out of a 2 x 4 mounted
on the base for the tailstock. I drilled for a tight fit with a bit
mounted in the lathe chuck. I cross drilled the 2 x 4 for a setscrew
to keep the leadscrew from turning when I had to rechuck it to take
another pass with the mill. The chuck was clamped to the lathe bed
by propping a piece of scrap steel under one of the lathe jaws. I
took the precaution of unplugging the lathe motor. It is just too
much of a conditioned response to grab the F/R switch when you want
to start cutting.

The next step is to cut down the length of the leadscrew, thread it
and cut the keyway for the drive gear. Does anyone know how the
sleeve is affixed to the leadscrew? The documentation from SB says
there should be a pin, but I can't find one.