Re: Service Problem My South Bend 9" just gave me....HELP

alan dewsnup <alsfarms@...>

Thanks for the input. I do believe the problem is in
the apron and I suspect the clutch is the problem.
What is teh best procedure to expose that culprit in
my attempt to free up the lead screw?

Regards, Alan
--- dirigo28 <dirigo28@...> wrote:

When you made the last pass did you just
disengage the
clutch, or place the power feed selector lever on
the
apron in neutral or perhaps put the reversing lever
in
neutral? If you just disengaged the clutch then the
problem
is in the apron and it will required removal and
disassembly.
If you had to move the power feed selector lever
then the
problem is still in the apron. If it required
placing the
reversing lever in neutral to free it up then the
problem is
in the gear train between the headstock and gearbox
at the
left end of the lathe or in the gearbox itself.
First check
and see if there is any binding in the gear train,
if not then
the gearbox is binding and will require removal and
disassebly.

Ed G

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.