Re: 20 Tooth Stud Gear for a 9A

Steve Wells

We are waiting on a serial number from Mike Groucutt
his cast date says it would have shipped in July/Aug 1925.

Steve Wells

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, Chris Strazzeri <cjstrazz@...>
wrote:

Dennis Turk is our SB historian. He should be able to help you.

Chris

Mike Groucutt <cuda71@...> wrote:
Chris Strazzeri wrote:

Before you dump the gear, make sure that's it's not used to cut
metric
threads. The more knowledgable members can tell you that.

Chris

*/mrlougee <james.f.taylor@ att.net>/* wrote:

Hi Folks,

I'm a retired engineer who has just completed refurbishing a South
Bend
9A. The serial number of this lathe is 39991NAR9 that appears to
put
the manufacturing date in 1959. I am very pleased with this
machine,
but I have discovered that the small stud gear has 24 teeth rather
than
the correct 20 teeth thus preventing the lathe from cutting the
right
thread pitches in the fine range. So it looks like I need a 20
tooth
stud gear South Bend part number PT32K20NK1. If you have this part
and
wish to sell it please contact me at james.f.taylor@ att.net
<mailto:james.f.taylor%40att.net>. The lathe
came with a bunch of change gears that appear to be for model B
and C
lathes. The gears are 3/4 inch wide, 9/16 inch bore with a 1/8
inch
keyway and mesh properly with the external model A change gears.
They
are 24T,36T,44T, 46T,52T,54T, and 60T. I would be willing to swap
one of
these gears for a 20T stud gear or sell them if anyone is
interested.

Thanks

hi there
How can I Date my south bend Lathe?? I know its an old one because
theclutch and start mechanismns are above the lathe
thanks
Mike