Re: Light 10 buying decision opinions wanted

Dennis Turk <dennis.turk2@...>

Hey great purchase and if you check your bed with a file I think you
will find you have found also one of the elusive flame hardened beds.
If it is the bed alone is worth what you paid for the complete lathe.

Turk

--- In southbendlathe@..., "Neal Winblad" <nwinblad@...>
wrote:

Not to worry about what it may be missing. Parts for South Bends
show up
all the time on eBay. You will be able find a cross slide / compound
very easily. Most people would prefer the T-slot I think except when
threading. So, you could have both and decide on a job by job basis
which to use. I believe the collet nose adapter comes off and chucks
screw on but I will let someone who knows for sure answer that one.
My
point is at $300 you have a lot of money left over (compared to
buying a
fully equipped lathe) to buy all the accessories you need. The fact
that
this lathe comes with all those collets is very desirable. They run
much
more true than work in a three jaw chuck. So, you will only need a
chuck
for larger work. The fact that this lathe is a model A, having a
quick
change gearbox means you don't have to mess with rather cumbersome
process of putting on change gears. That is very desirable. The fact
that this lathe has a fairly long bed is desirable as you can turn
longer work. I also has a micrometer stop on the ways. That is a
nice
feature. The three phase motor is probably a good thing as others
have
said. You just need to buy a small VFD and then you have a variable
speed lathe. One of the areas where this can come in handy is if
you are
threading to a shoulder. If you put the lathe in the slowest gear
and
put the back gear on it still is a bit fast for some of us to back
off
the cross slide at the end of the cut. But, if you could slow it
down
even more (by a factor of 10, say) then at the end of the thread
cut you
would have time to back out the cutter. I think you cannot go wrong
in
putting in a $300 bid on this lathe.

Neal