Re: Gear Cover

Dennis Turk <dennis.turk2@...>

Hi Fred

OK your gear cover door pin is held in with Babbitt pored on
assembly using a centering fixture in the spindle.

If you pin is not to lose you can make up a drive sleeve that fits
over the pin and then drive the Babbitt back down around the knurls
of the pin. The hole in the casting is as cast and this is another
one of SB way of making something fit close without doing any
machines work.

Fred I melt the Babbitt out of the casting and I have made a
centering bushing for the spindle. This with the use of some blocks
and clamps I hold the door in its correct position and then re-poor
the Babbitt. I actually use linotype lead in mine as it is harder
than the Babbitt SB used.

Turk.

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Lusen" <fl.lusen@...>
wrote:

I have been off of the list for some time now but am finally
starting a
complete restoration of my 9A.

Has anyone removed the hinge pin from the gear cover? Mine is
wabbling
around so the cover does not close well without having to lift it
up.
Since there is nothing holding it in from the outside, I am
assuming
the cap on top is the only holding and centering device. From
what I
can see, the pin either needs to be driven out or the cap needs to
be
ground away.

I have some photos but when I went to the photos page, the links,
Create New Album and Add Photos, are not present. The photos
section
is not full either.

Regards,

Fred