Re: Powder coating on the back porch?

Bill Rogers

Mike,
To answer some of your questions here are my thougts.

1. powder coating is a very good way to protect your lathe. I've
just started rebuilding a lathe I purchased a few weeks ago and have
been very happy with the results of powder coating on the parts I've
done so far. Some folks will tell you you have to grind / fill
parts to get a good finish. Well maybe so if you plan on showing
the lathe a Pebble Beach - but not to provide a good protective
finish.
2. I use DuPont powders. They will sell them to an individual
directly and are very reasonable - between $4 and $6 per pound for
standard colors and if they have a box open anywhere in the US
(normally they sell it by the 25 lb box, but I've found every color
I've wanted already open at one of there depots. Just call them at
800-247-3886 and they will send you a package of their colors and
prices.
3. I was very uncertain about using a "cheap" powder gun, but a
friend of mine on the west coast send me some items he did at home
that looked very good. I asked him what system he used and he said
the one from Harbor Freight. So I purchased one also. I'm sure the
more expensive guns do a better job of applying the powder and waste
less powder in the process, but with the low cost of the powder - I
think the cheap gun is the way to go for the home user.
3. The biggest issue is that you need an over that is outside -
don't try to bake the part in your house - it puts off a terible
oder and the fumes are harmful to your health. I have seen the heat
lamp type of heaters, but never used one - so I can't comment.
4. you will need to clean the parts very well prior to powder
coating. You should also bake the parts a few time to get all the
oil out of the parts - then clean with solvernt again - the powder
coat.
5. they sell a special fiberglass tape for oven use. I've found
that normal masking tape will work fine if you don't exceed 375 degs
or bake for much more than 20 minutes. That is as high as i've need
to bake and as long as they call for in the DuPont instructions.
The tape may last longer and go higher - I haven't tried.
6. email me off line and i'll send you some pictures of the parts
I've done so far - roge1033@bellsouth.net

Bill R.

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, "mcwirth67" <mwirth@...>
wrote:

New guy here (see my other posting today) with a SB 10K.

Don't have much space, just a corner in the garage. Certainly
don't have a large oven in
which to bake powder coating on large parts of the lathe (at
least, not without ending my
marriage of thirty-some years :-) So is powder coating a
reasonable way to repaint lathe
parts or objects I make on it?

1. Good sources for powder? What's the right, "authentic" color?
Just a battleship gray?

2. Do small coating guns (e.g., Sears or Harbor Freight units)
work?

3. Any alternatives to an oven for baking on paint? Or do I need
an oven anyway to bake
the oil out of old parts?

4. How do I mask areas (e.g., the ways)? Masking tape? Or will
it bake on and become
hard to remove?

5. Any pics of successful paint jobs?

TIA,

Mike Wirth
Palo Alto, CA

PS: The local Costco has shopping carts that have been
reconditioned and powder coated
(speckly gray). If powder coating can take that abuse, it can
handle anything! (Hmm...
maybe I can strap my 10K to a shopping cart and have it run
through the same process :-)