Powder coating on the back porch?

Michael Wirth

New guy here (see my other posting today) with a SB 10K.

Don't have much space, just a corner in the garage. Certainly don't have a large oven in
which to bake powder coating on large parts of the lathe (at least, not without ending my
marriage of thirty-some years :-) So is powder coating a reasonable way to repaint lathe
parts or objects I make on it?

1. Good sources for powder? What's the right, "authentic" color? Just a battleship gray?

2. Do small coating guns (e.g., Sears or Harbor Freight units) work?

3. Any alternatives to an oven for baking on paint? Or do I need an oven anyway to bake
the oil out of old parts?

4. How do I mask areas (e.g., the ways)? Masking tape? Or will it bake on and become
hard to remove?

5. Any pics of successful paint jobs?

TIA,

Mike Wirth
Palo Alto, CA

PS: The local Costco has shopping carts that have been reconditioned and powder coated
(speckly gray). If powder coating can take that abuse, it can handle anything! (Hmm...
maybe I can strap my 10K to a shopping cart and have it run through the same process :-)