Re: spindle lube

gorvil

Chris,

I hear what you're saying about old eyes. I have been in the
electronics business for 30 years. I never actually designed
anything with a vacuum tube, but I was a "tube jerker" in my teens.
I still have my old Lafayette tube tester in the basement, not too
far from my South Bend. These days I use a 30 power stereo
microscope and a fine pair of tweezers to manipulate 10 mil x 20 mil
chip parts. The damn things are so small they stick to the tweezer
from electrostatic attraction.

Glen Reeser

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, Chris Strazzeri
<cjstrazz@...> wrote:

I must confess that I'm going to be 60 in June. Therefore I wasn't
even born when 1942 rolled in, I just have enormous respect for what
my Dad's generation did. He was a master machinist and I lost him
recently. I guess I miss him and his wisdom.

No disrespect was meant to you or anyone who holds modern
technology in high esteem. How could I? I made electronics my
profession for the last 40 years. I started out with vacuum tubes
and now have to deal with components that my aging eyes can barely
see. I think I've been soldering for the last few years by instinct.

All good fun,
Chris

Gary Mason <carncrows2004@...> wrote:
Gents,
I take your point about 1942 not exactly being the stone
age!.......but it was before my time....lol......geez some of you
are showing your age....lol.
My thoughts were that in 1942 the Southbend lathe bed castings
were more likely to be horizontal planed and then the other parts
H/S, T/S, Saddle etc were hand scraped to final fit?as a new
machine. To recondition an existing bed I imagine a lot of hand
scraping,bluing to master gauges would have been the process?
As an apprentice I recall an old machine fitter nearing
retirement systematically pulling down the lathes in the apprentice
area and o/hauling the beds by hand scraping. I don't recall seeing
any beds sent away for a precision grinding?
Regards,
Gary.

Chris Strazzeri <cjstrazz@...> wrote: Just a thought or two
here. 1942 wasn't exactly the stone age. Magnificent machines were
mass produced. B17's, Iowa class battleships with awesome 16 inch
guns, F4 Corsair's, P38's and P51 Mustangs were in prototype.
Behemoth Big-Boys rolled on our rails. And let us not forget the M1
Garand which in my opinion is finest and definitely the most rugged
military rifle ever made. The M14 comes in a close second as it was
a child of the Garand. And oh those M2 50Cal's oorah! They're still
in use today.

Anyone out there ever heard of the "Proximity Fuse"? It was a US
secret that rivaled the Nordon Bomb Sight. Imagine stuffing fragile
glass vacuum tube circuitry in the business end of an artillery
shell. The shock and G forces were enormous but those 1942 cave men
did it! With sticks and sharp rocks I think!:)

Jeez, looking back over the nostalgia that I wrote gives me
pause. Everything except the Big-Boy is military. Go figure! I
wonder what a shrink would say???

Chris

Gary Mason <carncrows2004@...> wrote:
Hi,
I'm awaiting the arrival of a used saddle for my 9B, then the ways
on the bed and the saddle ways will be matched and precision
ground.In 1942 hand scraping the bed was probably the most
realistic option, but with the improvements in the machinery for
machine tool reconditioning in todays world I'll opt for grinding.
Regards,
Gary.

wheelhousesteam <tom@...> wrote:
Abrasive technology may offer the answr to hand scraping:

"On high quality machine tools the Ways are hand scraped to this
accuracy because is is practictally impossible to grind accurate V-
ways. (THe loss of form or diameter resulting from a single pass
os a
grinding wheel down the lenth of a bed is sufficient to "throw"
the
ways "off")

The Care and Operation of a lathe- Sheldon Machine Co. 1942
pg. 11

Tom

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, nwinblad@ wrote:

Thank you to everyone who took the time to submit such thoughful
replies on lathe lubrication. I am learning a lot from them. With
this new understanding I am sure I will be in a better position to
do
the right thing when it comes to lubrication. I wouldn't mind my
lathe lasting another 60 years.

I thought up one other question regarding lubrication that has
been
knocking around in my old noggin for a bit: I asked the question
of
why we need to scrape the ways now tht grinders can get them nice
and
straight? The answer I got was that the scraping provides a rough
surface to hold lubricant. But, then I got to thinking, South Bend
micro grinds the spindle bearing surface to 50 millionths of an
inch
to provide longer life to the bearings. Would the scraping logic
suggest that they should take sand paper to them instead. Or,
would
it suggest that polished ways would last longer? Or, are they
quite
different models with respect to how the oil flows to these
surfaces?

Neal

From: "John" <reproturn@>

Hi Neal

A lecture is well beyond me but here are a few thoughts on the
matter.

'Infernal' combustion engines make great demands on oils due to
churning, heat, water, blow-by gases, etc so the detergents and
other
additives help keep the motor 'clean'. Plus the oil is filtered
hence
the need to keep contaminants in suspension so they can be
scavenged
by the filtering system.

By comparison machine tools are much cleaner and have less
stressful operating conditions so the most of the additives are
not
needed and contaminants need to be able to fall out of suspension
and
so leave the machine or fall to the bottom of the gearbox etc
where
they can be flushed out when the oil is next changed.

All oil is hygroscopic to some extent so regularly changing the
stuff (especially if the oil remains in the machine eg gearbox) is
essential. Hydraulic oils have anti-corrosive additives added, but
yes hydraulic parts are chromed or made of corrosion resistant
metals
such as stainless. I suspect the operating environment of such
equipment has more of a corrosive effect than the absorbed water.

Perhaps there is an oil expert on the list who could set us all
straight on this very important topic?

Cheers
John B
Sydney, Australia