Re: Motors and controllers: too many choices

gorvil

Jack,

It is true that maximum power transfer occurs when load resistance
and source resistance are matched. This doesn' mean that your best
choice of source resistance is the same as the load resistance. If
source and load are equal, 1/2 power is dissipated in each. If
source resistance is zero, all the power is dissipated in the load.

Bigger is better.

Glen Reeser

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, Jack F <gunsmith@f...> wrote:

I see. Sorry, I just threw in my nosy two cents
because the concept that max energy transfer occurs
when source impedance and load resistance are
matched is important in every field of energy
transfer, and there is so much misunderstanding
about this. regards, Jack F
==============================
How can any fair minded person believe that only the police
should be entitled to defend themselves with a handgun?
<http://www.gunsmith.fuselier.com> in East Texas

From: Bernard R <bwjarandall@c...>
To: southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, February 12, 2005, 10:54:13 AM
Subject: [southbendlathe] Re: Motors and controllers: too many
choices

Jack,

The intent of my original response was to advise the original
poster
that there were inherent problems with depending solely on a motor
controller to obtain useful power over wide machine RPM range.  I
agree that the site I listed takes the simplest view of the
relationships and does not explain the family of curves obtained by
varying the voltage.

The site also does not go into heating effects, which is the crux
of
the problem, when dealing with high torque at low speeds.

Your point on maximum energy transfer is well taken

Bernard R