Re: Tailstock #2MT reamer revisited #2mt

Thomas G Brandl

Chris,
I think first you need to determine where the movement in the live
center/tail stock is. If its between the live center and the quill, then
yes you will need to ream it. Also, check between the quill and the
tailstock housing. I wouldn't use a chuck to align the reamer. Or if you
do, turn the taper/angle on a piece of steel rod and don't remove it from
the chuck. If you have collets, then that will hold a piece of round stock
to be turned also. Or hold a center with a straight body. Then you can
check the alignment by eye. I would roughly align by eye, then use a test
bar and a dial indicator. Both from the side and from the top. You can also
use about a 12 inch piece of round stock and turn it between centers to see
the taper. Then adjust the tailstock to take out the taper. Only after you
have aligned the tailstock to the lathe would I ream it.
Tom

| | chris_c_willis |
| | <williscebay@hotm|
| | ail.com> |
| | |
| | 12/20/2004 01:29 |
| | PM |
| | Please respond to|
| | southbendlathe |
| | |
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| |
| To: southbendlathe@... |
| cc: |
| Subject: [southbendlathe] Tailstock #2MT reamer revisited |
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I posted a question some time ago about cleaning burrs from my
tailstock, and the end result was to use a finishing reamer. I am
very new, and I am ready to tackle this. In an ideal world I would
chuck up the reamer in the headstock and use the handwheel to feed
the tailstock quill into the reamer. During restoration of my (Heavy
10) lathe, I noticed that the previous owner shimmed the tailstock.
I still kept the shims, but did not install them during assembly. I
assume that the shims were installed due to wear on the bed close to
the headstock, or that the tailstock is not the original, and doesn't
match the headstock. I don't have a headstock spindle adaptor (yet)
so I can't line up two dead centers between the headstock/tailstock
to see how far off they are.

Now for my question:

Since the alignment between my headstock/tailstock is compromised, I
need to find a better way to clean up my tailstock quill. Enco sells
a Morse Taper "Hand Reamer". Do I just jamb it in the tailstock and
spin it with a wrench/Drill?? This seems too crude, and maybe
someone has some better advice.

By the way I can see a (brand-new) #2 live center move in the
tailstock under a load, which leads me to believe that I don't have a
perfect fit, and need to clean up the tailstock via a reamer.

* * * * *
Stop delivery: southbendlathe-nomail@...
Daily digest mode: southbendlathe-digest@...
Individual emails: southbendlathe-normal@...

Yahoo! Groups Links

This e-mail transmission and any attachments to it are intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain
confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, your use, forwarding, printing, storing, disseminating,
distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you
by replying to this message and delete it from your computer.