From: kc1fp <jperkins@m...>
To: <southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 5:43 PM
Subject: [southbendlathe] Re: Adjusting My Large Spindle Bearing

Tom, Its a simple and straight forward process so don't sweat it.
You
need a repeatable dial indicator and some paitience. Do both
bearings
while you are at it, one at a time. Don't take out .01 in shims to
remove .01 in play. Take out half or less of what you think you
need
and recheck it. Do it a number of times until you get it to .001
Remember to remove the screws from the expander before removing
the
bearing cap and installing and tighening them back up before
rechecking it with the lift test. Save the shims yu remove and
remember which spot they came out of in case you have to put them
back in.

JP