From: kc1fp
To: southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, April 02, 2004 12:52 AM
Subject: [southbendlathe] Re: junk vs jewels;Ina Ron Lippard
Renaissance Reproductions

Delrin is a tough plastic that is not brittle and subject to
cracking
like polycarbonate (Lexan) and it is somewhat sunlight (UV)
resistant.
It is also refered to by the name "Acetel".

It machines like brass except for drilled holes. With a twist
drill
the holes come out smaller than the drill bit so if hole size is
important then you have to ream them.

Great stuff for making prototypes or things that have to be an
electrical insulator. Works good at cold temperatures as well.

JP

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, "tracy_tracy"

wrote:

> As usual the Ozzies have it!They reminded me of my own
local
metal
> yard.Last time I was there they had barrels of bar
stock,and old
machinery
> like a universal grinder,cast-iron machine tables,tool
steel.One
box
> trailer has 6" X10' alum round stock sticking out of the
back.This is where
> I got that 50' of 2" black delrin from...free.Gives ya some
wood
just
> thinking about it!Fortunately I have friends with trucks.My
wife's boss
> owns a concrete block truck with loader crane.The bad news
is
where am I
> gonna PUT all that lovely stuff!<G>!
> As for blacking metal for storage.If your going to store
it
for more
> then a year,just paint it with something the comes off
easily.Or
rub it
> down with grease.
> For a finish on tool steel go cold.Perma-Blue is great
for
this.Just be
> sure you take off ALL grease,human and otherwise.Dunk in
acetone
using
> wire.Immerse in Perma-Blue for several hours or several
days.Depends on how
> deep you want to go.And then there is a 3rd
method.Browning.Basically a
> controlled rusting.I'am not sure of the exact method
used.However,it is a
> real good way of making any piece of equipment look old and
well
cared
> for.I know it is done on guns and such.
> regards,Ron
> Spring is here.Think I'll meander back to metal yard...
>

> --
tml
owner@yahoogroups.com
> * * * * *
> Manage your subscription by sending a blank message as
follows:
> Stop delivery: southbendlathe-nomail@yahoogroups.com
> Daily digest mode: southbendlathe-digest@yahoogroups.com
> Individual emails: southbendlathe-normal@yahoogroups.com

tml
> Post: mailto:southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com
> Email Moderators: mailto:southbendlathe-owner@yahoogroups.com
> * * * * *
> Manage your subscription by sending a blank message as
follows:
> Stop delivery: southbendlathe-nomail@yahoogroups.com
> Daily digest mode: southbendlathe-digest@yahoogroups.com
> Individual emails: southbendlathe-normal@yahoogroups.com

> c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
Terms of
Service.