Re: Gear teeth surface lubrication

gorvil

I bought a grease zerk (zert?).. I bought a nipple from Ace harware.
I think it was 1/4 20. I made an adapter that was 1/4 20 inside
threads on one side and 1/4 28 outside threads (or whatever the
backgear spindle was) on the other side.

Glen Reeser

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, "pmathews49201"
<bucksaway@c...> wrote:
So, how do you get grease into the hole on the backgear shaft? I
bought a grease nipple but the threads are different...

Mike

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, "kc1fp" <jperkins@m...>
wrote:
The hole in the spindle pulley on my heavy 10 is marked "OIL".
The
backgear shaft is for grease and has a much larger hole and
spiral
cut in the shaft to distribute the grease. Not so on the spindle.

The 9 and 10K may be different, good you pointed it out.

JP

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, "dirigo28" <dirigo28@y...>
wrote:
--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, "kc1fp" <jperkins@m...>
wrote:

There are oil holes in the reversing gear
shafts on my lathe as well as on the spindle pulley, so
adding
few
drops of oil to the gear faces is no big deal.
JP
According to the South Bend lubrication chart that hole in the
spindle pulley is for grease not oil, btw. Also, the hole in
the
back
gear shaft is for grease too. At least it is on my 10K.

Ed