Re: to buy or not to buy

gorvil

It also occurs to me that if the lathe has been sitting, crud could
grow under the cross slide gib. A simple cleaning and adjustment of
the gib would hlp.

Glen

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Reeser" <Gorvil@a...>
wrote:
Frank,

Do you have the correct tension on the belt? There should be some
kind of belt tension adjustment. On the 9's it is a turnbuckle on
the tension lever.

A lot of us here are thankful for the belt slipping under too heavy
of a load. Not that I have ever done it, but when the carriage
crashes into the headstock, belt slippage is a Martha Stewart "good
thing".

Glen Reeser

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, Frank Herrera <frankh@c...>
wrote:
Hi Stan/Dave,
thanks for the reply, Read some of the archives and
realized that belts are not a issue and can be easily replaced
thanks
for your information, I read some web site where they say you can
not
take to much of a cut on the lathe as the belt will start to slip
or the
tool would jam in the work, is this a problem I should be aware
of,
or
can this be corrected with a new belt and motor.

The reason I asked is that this lathe does not have much power at
best
right now as is and hoping that a good pull down and service is
all
that
would need to put it back into shape. I have not tried to cut
anything
with this lathe but I can stop the chuck with my hand easily and
the
leather belt will start to slip.

Thanks again

FRank

Stan Stocker wrote:

Hi Frank,

Don't have a 14 incher but any SB in good shape is a good lathe
:-)

The belt is actually a piece of cake. You have several options:

Order a new belt from LaBlond.

Order a new clipper style belt from MSC.

Order a new clipper belt from Baltimore Belting (4 ply power
transmission belting.) Good stuff.

Buy a length of leather from a leather supplier and lace it up,
add
clips, or skive and glue.

Replacement parts can be a bit hard to come by, but many of the
dealers
have parts, as does LaBlond. Can't get everything, but if the
lathe is
in good shape you probably won't be needing parts in any case.
Very old
lathes are harder to find parts for, if this lathe is one with
numeric
ONLY serial number some parts may be hard to find. Old gears
may
be 14
1/2 degree pressure angle and can be hard to come by.
Naturally
with a
mill and diving head you can always make what you need, don't
know if
this is an option for you.

Cheers,
Stan
purpleturtle22000 wrote:
<snipped>
My concerns is mainly the leather belt can I get a
replacement
if need
be the motor I will change to a single phase motor anyhow,
is
general
replace parts eash to come buy, eg gears, leathe belt etc

Frank

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
05016061:HM/A=1564416/R=0/SIG=11ti81skc/*http://www.netflix.com/Defaul