From: "Glen Reeser" <Gorvil@a...>
To: <southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 12:31 PM
Subject: [southbendlathe] Re: Crossfeed Nut
Jim,
The crossfeed nut is shaped like a T. The cross bar part of the T is
threaded 7/16 x 10 Acme. The other part of the T is drilled and
tapped for a setscrew along the axis of the part. It is also cross
drilled for a pin. The set screw and the pin have a taper on the
ends. As you drive in the setscrew, it forces out the pin (at 90
degrees to the screw) which impinges on the inside of the cross slide
hole. As a last step when assembling the whole thing, you tighten
down the set screw.
HTH
Dennis Pantazis and I have both made replacement cross feed nuts.
Dennis had some kind of CNC milling set up that fabricated beutiful
looking nuts. For my homemade nuts, I single pointed the Acme
threads on my lathe and continually trial fitted the screw until I
got a tight fit.
I had one of Dennis's nuts on my lathe while I was machining a MLA
milling attachment. I used a big carbide cutter in a 4 jaw as a fly
cutter. I think the interrupted cut on a big cast iron piece ruined
the threads, at least I got a lot of back lash after that.
I sent one of my home made nuts to Crazy Bert who was happy with it
at first, but after a "milling in the lathe" incident, he had a lot
of back lash, too.
Maybe the best solution is to buy replacement nuts and screw from
Rose.
Glen Reeser
--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Wilson" <jwilson002@a...>
wrote:
Dennis,
Would you explain please? The nut is supposed to be free to turn?
What 60
degree set screw? We are talking about the cross slide and not the
compound, right? Please forgive all the questions but this is
exactly what
I am trying to fix right now and this is all new information to me.
Jim