Re: Looking for a large UMD spring for a light 10 (10k)

Bill in OKC too

Come on, Animal, I got his initials right! ;)  https://www.wswells.com/index.html

Thanks!

Aphorisms to live by:
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
SEMPER GUMBY!
Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome.
Physics doesn't care about your schedule.
The only reason I know anything is because I've done it wrong enough times to START to know better

On Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 12:30:37 PM CDT, mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

        Steve Wells

        animal

On 9/14/2022 4:12 AM, Bill in OKC too via groups.io wrote:
If you're in the USA, try Home Depot/Lowes, or other hardware stores. IIRC, Steve Webb's site has a list of common hardware items cross-referenced to SB part numbers, and you might find that spring listed there, as well.

Aphorisms to live by:
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
SEMPER GUMBY!
Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome.
Physics doesn't care about your schedule.
The only reason I know anything is because I've done it wrong enough times to START to know better

On Tuesday, September 13, 2022 at 11:14:39 PM CDT, Rogan Creswick <creswick@...> wrote:

I'd like to replace the large tension spring on my 10k -- this is the lathe that went through a fire, and it seems that the spring isn't returning quite like it should. It surely tempered in the fire (it was hot enough to melt the babbitt in other parts of the lathe).

Regardless of my wisdom (or lack there of) in rebuilding this machine, I would like to replace this part, since the lathe turns within the tolerances I currently care about.

I'm not sure how to find or replace this spring, though.  This is the part for the *heavy* 10:

but it's clearly too long for my light 10 (by about an inch).

I haven't found any springs that look like suitable replacements on McMaster Carr, and I'm not sure where else to look.

Thanks!
Rogan