Re: 14-1/2 spindle nose and taper

rlm_mcv

The new so called MT4.5 also is listed as a taper per foot of .6240, where South Bend lists most of their propitiatory tapers at .602 as per the factory South Bend literature I posted earlier.

It is a simple task to create this part with the lathe it will be used on.  It is a short engagement and the offset compound will produce it.  There is no need to wonder where to purchase this part.

On Saturday, May 28, 2022, 08:44:38 PM CDT, rlm_mcv via groups.io <rlm_mcv@...> wrote:

I agree Paul the so called MT4.5 is a more recent made up designation created to explain what for years what was known as a proprietary taper.

On Saturday, May 28, 2022, 08:33:52 PM CDT, Guenther Paul <paulguenter@...> wrote:

In 50 years of machining i never heard or saw a 4 1/2 morse taper  1,2,3,4,5 yes

GP

On Saturday, May 28, 2022, 08:45:15 PM EDT, ken campbell <deltainc@...> wrote:

just for reference, i have a friend that has a heavy 10 ... but it has a d3 chuck, and we think it takes MT4.5 spindle centers.  it also has about a 1.25 inch spindle hole..  kind of a rare beast, apparently.  it is a qc with starwheel clutch engagement and has a taper attachment ! ...  and underdrive.  hmmm .

oh, we can't find a MT4.5 adapter anywhere, but at least he has the taper attachment to make some.

ken