Re: Cast Iron Legs

Bill in OKC too

The new Heavy 10 really isn't. And there are several vendors selling 10x22 lathes about the same size for half or less than Grizzly wants for their machine with the name on it. Including Grizzly, IIRC. They also do not have the accessories that were standard on the old Heavy 10L. No collet closers, no taper attachment, just for starters.

I looked at them real hard, and over a decade, and couldn't convince myself to buy one. The real thing was available in decent shape on Ebay for about $2500-$3500, and most with all the goodies. I got mine in need of substantial restoration for under a grand. It's a long way from finished, but I'm sure it will be a much better lathe even though it only has the single-tumbler gearbox. And a spare, and two 5-C collet closers, a taper attachment, and both regular and turret tailstocks. It is going to be a lot of work, but I'll know the thing forwards and backwards by the time I'm done.

Aphorisms to live by:
SEMPER GUMBY!
Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome.
Physics doesn't care about your schedule.
The only reason I know anything is because I've done it wrong enough times to START to know better

On Friday, April 22, 2022, 05:23:52 PM CDT, Ondrej Krejci via groups.io <okrejci@...> wrote:

The new Heavy Ten is still cheaper than the last dinosaur SB lathe offered by LeBlond Makino at $15K, which no one was buying anyway.  Belt drive metal lathes are mostly a thing of the past.

On Friday, April 22, 2022, 04:48:10 PM EDT, Jack Reynolds <jackandladyreynolds@...> wrote:

I went and looked at the SB/Grizzly website to see these and I agree about the crazy price.  But when I perused more of the site and got curious about their version of a SB Heavy Ten I was aghast!  They boast about what a hodge podge of parts they are made of from around the world and then show a price that blows you away!  They are also out of stock on most of them.  It is a far cry from when SB used to boast that all orders were filled from stock and the black and white pictures of row upon row of beds, heads, etc ready to be assembled and shipped.

Jack

On 4/22/2022 11:26 AM, William Nelson wrote:
I'm with you Debbie Downer that price is crazy high. But remember you get thr brass Southbend name plates to make it official so I'm pretty sure that raises the price a tad.
--
Bill From Socal