Re: hand file

Nick Andrews

Maybe, we're in a lot of the same groups, too!  I still need to make a forge burner for the casting setup, and crucible tongs.  SO glad I have a bigger, better lathe and mill now.  It would've taken me a couple decades to actually build the Gingery lathe, and the ones I've seen being used on Youtube look pretty flimsy in comparison.  I am thinking I will be buying a horizontal attachment for my BP mill now.

On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 11:30 AM Bill in OKC too via groups.io <wmrmeyers=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hmmm. Are we twins separated at birth or something? I have an anvil I've been dragging around since 1985, a set of DIY tongs from Amazon, purchased a year or so ago. Need holes drilled, and either riveted or bolted together. I've had the timbers cut for my 4th attempt at an anvil stand...

Aphorisms to live by:
SEMPER GUMBY!
Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome.
Physics doesn't care about your schedule.
The only reason I know anything is because I've done it wrong enough times to START to know better

On Thursday, April 14, 2022, 11:26:40 AM CDT, Nick Andrews <nickjandrews@...> wrote:

Aaaaaaand an old, crapped-out file can be round smooth and turned into a scraper tool as well, or made into something else by them blacksmithing types.  No, I really don't need another hobby.

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 10:07 PM wmrmeyers@... <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:
Good info, too! And an advantage to getting good files. Though if you buy cheap files you can grind safe edges on them for special purposes, or just because you want to. So another advantage to cheap files. Where it would hurt to do that to a good Nicholson file for a one-time use, it can be a really good idea for a file you didn't spend much money on that will help you do a special job you don't need to do frequently.

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Wednesday, April 13, 2022, 08:43:36 PM CDT, Jim_B <jim@...> wrote:

IMHO
As important as the maker is the type of file. Single cut, double cut, bastard, Swiss pattern, are a few.
For many years now, I have been using Swiss pattern with clean edges. I find that the finish I can get is superior to others and the clean edges let me get next to expensive collets without marking them up.

Jim B,

--
Jim B