Re: hand file

Nick Andrews

I got a few more aggressive files from Aircraft Spruce when I ordered some 4140 seamless steel tubing for a work project years back.  And since I wasn't going to be paying shipping then, I got myself some of that tubing and solid rod that could be used for receivers, breech blocks, barrel nuts, etc.

Really wish I'd asked for more 2" square bar from a local guy I had make a bunch of bent 4130 CRS round bars for the CV-22 anchor points we installed in the tarmac at KAFB.  I mean, I was happy to get a 2' piece for free, but 6' would be better!  His 200 ton Cincinnati press could barely bend those 1.25" bars to make the center hoop we needed.  He welded up a mandrel and smashed the straight bar down over it.  Cost us about $10k for 480 of them.  And then, the anchor hooks the USAF guys had for the aircraft wouldn't clip over the bars, even after I asked them while holding one in my hand if they would work, twice, and they said yes, we checked.  So a couple weeks later I had a mod for around $60k to add forged pear rings on each bar to latch the tie-downs to...

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 11:01 PM Sam <i.am.sam.sam.i.am2008@...> wrote:
Simonds, Groge, Pferd,
All foreign made, but good.
The high exchange shipping and so on make these expensive.

Nicholson has been value Engineered, not great, but maybe good enough for the money, easy to buy in stores.
The half round files used to have distal taper, not anymore.  You have to buy a more expensive crossing file to get that now.

Any of the India sourced files I have tried are soft garbage.

Boggs does sharpen, i'ts flat rate on the quantity for them, so fill a flat rate box to ship also.
Makes sense for USA, not other countries.

Find a good industrial supplier, keep in mind a home depot will only sell smooth files
you might be filing all day with that when you really want a coarse bastard.

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 11:07 PM wmrmeyers@... <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:
Good info, too! And an advantage to getting good files. Though if you buy cheap files you can grind safe edges on them for special purposes, or just because you want to. So another advantage to cheap files. Where it would hurt to do that to a good Nicholson file for a one-time use, it can be a really good idea for a file you didn't spend much money on that will help you do a special job you don't need to do frequently.

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Wednesday, April 13, 2022, 08:43:36 PM CDT, Jim_B <jim@...> wrote:

IMHO
As important as the maker is the type of file. Single cut, double cut, bastard, Swiss pattern, are a few.
For many years now, I have been using Swiss pattern with clean edges. I find that the finish I can get is superior to others and the clean edges let me get next to expensive collets without marking them up.

Jim B,

--
Jim B