Re: hand file

Bill in OKC too

yeah, I resemble that remark! I have a drawer organizer thingie that is 2" wide, about the same again deep, and 11 or 12" long, and it is full of very oily files that need degreased, handled, and put on a stinking rack! Plus there are files all over the shop now from stuff getting moved around as I was sorting the dumpster finds. Not all of those had handles, either.

Aphorisms to live by:
SEMPER GUMBY!
Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome.
Physics doesn't care about your schedule.
The only reason I know anything is because I've done it wrong enough times to START to know better

On Thursday, April 14, 2022, 11:20:38 AM CDT, Nick Andrews <nickjandrews@...> wrote:

I seriously need to do handles for the rest of mine.  They are all stacked more or less in the same toolbox drawer...

I recently used a file card to remove much contamination from a bunch of my estate sale finds.  Really amazing how much better they cut after that!  The cheapo HF file card I had came apart (big surprise, I know) so Amazon brought me another one.  Still more cleaning to do.

On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 8:02 AM Bill in OKC too via groups.io <wmrmeyers=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
And you can use copper pipe to make a ferrule to keep the wooden handle from splitting. Golf balls make a good file handles, too. You could even (gasp!) buy handles. My local toolohaulic enabler, Steve's Wholesale Tools sells injection molded file handles a variety of sizes for about $0.79 each. I bought about a dozed of each of four sizes. Once you have more than a couple of files, a way to store them is necessary, too. Some ideas here:

https://www.homemadetools.net/site/search?q=file+storage&Search=

https://www.homemadetools.net/site/search?q=file+rack&Search=

William R. Meyers, MSgt, USAF(Ret.)

Aphorisms to live by:
SEMPER GUMBY!
Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome.
Physics doesn't care about your schedule.
The only reason I know anything is because I've done it wrong enough times to START to know better

On Thursday, April 14, 2022, 07:32:05 AM CDT, Stephen Bartlett via groups.io <tower.op=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

And if a file does not come with a handle, put a handle on it.

One handle for each file, not a changeable handle made to be swapped among files.  That is a nuisance and a waste of time.

A cheap turned wood file handle will seriously improve the joy of filing.

Steve Bartlett