Re: hand file

Nick Andrews

Aaaaaaand an old, crapped-out file can be round smooth and turned into a scraper tool as well, or made into something else by them blacksmithing types.  No, I really don't need another hobby.

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 10:07 PM wmrmeyers@... <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:
Good info, too! And an advantage to getting good files. Though if you buy cheap files you can grind safe edges on them for special purposes, or just because you want to. So another advantage to cheap files. Where it would hurt to do that to a good Nicholson file for a one-time use, it can be a really good idea for a file you didn't spend much money on that will help you do a special job you don't need to do frequently.

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Wednesday, April 13, 2022, 08:43:36 PM CDT, Jim_B <jim@...> wrote:

IMHO
As important as the maker is the type of file. Single cut, double cut, bastard, Swiss pattern, are a few.
For many years now, I have been using Swiss pattern with clean edges. I find that the finish I can get is superior to others and the clean edges let me get next to expensive collets without marking them up.

Jim B,

--
Jim B