Re: QCTP

G K

Bill,

Thanks a lot for completing the research project for me, and sending me all of these links and information.  Now time to digest it all.  I will go down the DIY trail now.  If it does not turn out well, or if in the future I go to a AXA Clone, then it goes on the scrap pile.  As you said, all it takes is a few dollars of steel and time, and that I have a lot of .

Thanks again.  As questions arise in my decision process, I may be posting more questions.

Have a great day!

Greg

On Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 07:52:35 AM CST, wmrmeyers@... <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:

A few links for the Van Norman style QCTP I mentioned:

if this guy can make one on the junk heap lathe he has, you should have NO problem! ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJHDSY7tZ8c

This one isn't actually a Van Norman style, and it would need some milling, but may give you some ideas, and it's based on one designed for the 9" South Bend lathes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d7xY4UNGAg
This is the source of h is inspiration. Plans are $6, no kit of materials available. Though you should look at the rest of his site. http://mlatoolbox.com/MLA-23.html

Ralph Patterson is a name in the mini-lathe community, and has given me permission to upload all of his materials to my mini-lathes group, including the drawings for his version of the Van Norman QCTP. https://groups.io/g/Mini-Lathes/files/Ralph%20Patterson%20Mini-Lathe%20and%20metalworking%20projects%21/RalphPattersonML/ralph_patterson_qctp.pdf

I am pretty sure you need to be a member to download from the group, but I'd be happy to send you (and anyone else interested) an invite. A lot of stuff for the mini-lathes will scale up a bit and be useful, or at least give you an idea about how to do something you might want to do on your lathe, and I've got most of Ralph's designs on the site. And membership is free.

Here's a link to the Mert Baker inspired version a guy in New Zealand made, with decent photos. It's VERY similar to Ralph's design, but Ralph's lacks the wide flange on the bottom of the tool post. https://aardvark.co.nz/pjet/qctp.shtml

You can make your own, probably from scrap you have or can get easily, and all it costs is time, and a little effort. Bruce said it took him about 4 hours to make his, and most of that was turning the wide flange. If you start with a smaller column, you don't need to do that. And the point of having a QCTP is that you can have multiple tool holders set up and ready to drop in, already set on the lathe's centerline. That is easier to do on an Aloris-type, like my AXA clone, or the MLA23, but it's not all the difficult on the Van Norman.

Though you can buy an AXA clone like mine from Amazon for $160 or so, not counting tax. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YPDQ4G Making your own is good practice. I bought mine (for $130 or so in 2015) when I got my Atlas TH42. When I get the 10L running, I can move it over there, or see about making a copy. Or I could buy a Multifix clone. I'm a lot better machinist, now, so I could make my own, too. Van Norman style or otherwise.

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)
On Tuesday, January 11, 2022, 05:18:39 PM CST, G K via groups.io <bug_hunter2000@...> wrote:

Hey All,

I've got a SB9c.  Looking for project ideas to refine my minimal skills.  How about a QCTP?

I understand that you can buy an adequate QCTP for $150-$200, but shouldn't we try to make what we need with the tools we have?

I've done a bit of scouring on the web, and have seem some ideas, but nothing that seems to fit the 9" that needs to be made given one additional caveat.  No Mill!  I have assembled a milling attachment that I can use on the SB, but that the extent on my milling capabilities.  Ideally, I would prefer to work in aluminum due to the ease of machining, but I am guessing that steel would be better for this endeavor.

Thoughts, suggestions, advice?

Let the ridicule begin.

Thanks,

Greg