Re: Adding DRO to my SB vertical mill

Bill in OKC too

I'm not sure I'd bet on that, Sam. I'm using a button based DRO on the lathe at school, and it's survived years there. I've been using it on and off for very nearly 7 years, and it was old when I started using it. I've gone through over a dozen tablet computers, and even more cell phones in that time. Though the DRO's the school uses are in the $2K range, not the couple or three hundred dollars the ones Mike suggested are. I'm going to be looking at them pretty carefully, too.

Aphorisms to live by:
SEMPER GUMBY!
Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome.
Physics doesn't care about your schedule.
The only reason I know anything is because I've done it wrong enough times to START to know better

On Sunday, January 2, 2022, 10:56:54 PM CST, Sam <i.am.sam.sam.i.am2008@gmail.com> wrote:

i have known many who install from "DRO Pros" and they are happy with them.
touch screens may be more long lasting than buttons, but I would still choose the buttons.

On Sun, Jan 2, 2022 at 11:18 PM mike allen <animal@psln.com> wrote:

        Seems a lot of folks are buying the ToAuto ones from
Amazon . Those are probably the one that I will buy when I get to
that stage  . Just make sure when you order you verify the
length's you want  .

        animal

On 1/2/2022 8:08 PM, Nick Andrews
wrote:

So I'm thinking that while the challenge of full
manual operation with the dials can be a lot of fun, sometimes
the added features of a DRO would make life a whole lot easier.
But I don't want to spend more than I paid for the machine,  so
am thinking of trying one of the $300-600 units.  Anyone have
advice on which might be good or more important,  to avoid?  And
if the tft touch screen type is more usable than the old style
discrete buttons type?