Re: Need advice- 9" with no tooling - do I keep it?

Bill in OKC too

Doubt I'll ever do anything that complicated, but being able to do internal splines is reason enough for me. Won't be doing anything too large, either, since all my machines but two of the drill presses are bench top or desktop machines. Unless I live a really long time and win the lottery a few times. :)

Used South Bend lathes and shapers in my first class 48+ years ago, but wasn't smart enough then to do anything about it. Like taking a second class while I still remembered what I'd learned. Read what I could find about machining, and looked for a lathe and shaper, but didn't find one of either of them I could afford to buy until 2008. Then it was a 7x10 Mini-Lathe.

 I'd love to have a 36" Cincinnati shaper, and a Bridgeport or similar mill, and Monarch  or similar larger lathe, but don't have space for them. Or even a floor that could support one. :)

Still don't have a South Bend Shaper, but I do have a WWII war surplus benchtop SB toolroom lathe. It's a restoration project, and quite a bit larger and more complex than the Unimats. I need the practice fixing machine tools, too

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Wednesday, December 15, 2021, 09:37:27 PM CST, doug kilbourn via groups.io <h2oridr@...> wrote:

Ah a shaper
Spent a lot of time on one in the 60s and 70s making complex shear dies
Many memories