Re: Need advice- 9" with no tooling - do I keep it?

Bill in OKC too

I'm not a professional machinist. But I have learned that a QCTP is very useful. Particularly when you have very limited shop time. Once you have all your dozens of tool holders set up, anyway. :) There are things you can do with a QCTP that can't be done, or done as easily, with a lantern-style toolpost. And vice versa. Some things are easier with the lantern style. You should have both.

You only need a 4-jaw independent-jaw chuck if you're going to be turning square or octagon stock, or you need more accuracy than your 3-jaw allows. It takes a couple of minutes to adjust a piece of stock in a 4-jaw so there is little or no runout.  Though it's easier with a collet chuck and collets for round stock, and some types of collets will take square or hex stock. They're another thing you can spend big money on. :)

You can get by with next to nothing, but it is more fun if you have every tool known to man. From my experience, I can tell you that it's cheaper to buy stuff as you find you need it. Not that that's how I did it for most of my stuff...  ;)

If you're not already a machinist, play with what you have and figure out what you need for what you want to do. Get the tools you need for a particular project. Or make them yourself. I've done some of each. I got an Atlas TH42 a few years ago. First things I bought it were a 4-jaw chuck & a QCTP. I had to make a rocker for the lantern post, as it was missing.  The only lathe I don't currently have a 4-jaw for is my SB Heavy 10L. It's a restoration project. Once it's running, which may be several years yet, it will get one of each. And it's own toolholders! :) I've even bought a 4-jaw for the Unimat. I consider them essential if you don't have a collet chuck and a good set of collets. Naturally, YMMV. :)

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Tuesday, December 14, 2021, 10:01:14 AM CST, ken campbell <deltainc@...> wrote:

Whoa ! ...  first of all, you don't need an axa QC tool post to do most anything you are going to make 1 or 2 of on a 9 inch.  i ran a 9 Logan for 3 years and made runs of a few dozen when starting my business.  never missed a QC .   after a little practice it only takes a minute to set your lantern cutter ... and you can buy used lantern tooling cutters for about nothing dollars.

for learning or making 95 per cent of anything at all non-production,  you can also learn a whole lot by grinding those cheap tool bits yourself.

buy yourself a decent, but not necessarily expensive ... tool grinder. the shaft size should be standard for stones from a tooling house, then you can add wire brushes and polishing wheels as desired.

you won't need a 4 jaw unless you are doing odd shaped parts or finishing demanding parts made in another machine.  so i would save that money for other tooling as you need it for that exact job.

check your 3 jaw before you get discouraged.  plenty of you-tubes on this.   a 3 jaw with 0.004 runout isn't too bad ... you just have to start with 0.005 oversize stock ( g ) .  your part will finish true.

and of course, ... there is the " kid with new toy "  factor .. we all know you are going to be picking up on a whim all the gadgets you think would be cool for your new machine... heh ...  i am retired after 40 years of machining ... and i still watch ebay for gadgets for my SB13 ... ! ... sometimes i even find one i don't already have two of already or more rarely one i actually need ...

ken