Re: Need SB lathe info

rlm_mcv

Here is a link to 3 ford trans mounted on one lathe.

On Friday, December 3, 2021, 07:26:10 PM CST, mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

        I'm guessing that there must have been a article on Popular Mechanics  or like magazine about adding a automotive transmission to the drive unit on these old lathes . The first one I saw I was thinkin , boy this guy sure had a good idea & then I started seeing more & more with this addition / mod . Any pic's would be cool !

        animal

On 12/3/2021 3:02 PM, Rick Swineford wrote:

I have a South Bend lathe that I got from my Father many years ago.  I need to learn more about it.  I sent the serial number to Grizzly and they sent me an ID card which reads:

22801  37  15x8  7/5/22

It is a manual gear change.  What is the 37?  What if any parts will interchange with maybe the 13” of that vintage?

It is semi-functional.  My dad mounted a 4 spd truck transmission above the lathe and setup twin v belts to drive the flat belt pulleys.  Works for light cuts but walks off under load.  I plan make a 2 part collar stop to go on the next lower pulley to keep it from riding off.  Lots of odd ball parts.  Previously owned by a gun smith.  Sat in Ohio for 30 years with no use after my dad purchased it and cleaned and painted it.  Moved it to Florida 15 years ago.

Thanks for any info.

Rick Swineford

Morriston, Fl