Re: decoding a South Bend manufacturing card

Bill in OKC too

It has a stoutish 3phase 220/440vac motor with no data plate now. None of the electrics are there otherwise. No idea what the motor is really rated for, just going on what Bill H said, IF I remember it right. Was going to take it to work, where we had 220/440vac 3 phase power, and cables, and my boss was thoroughly capable with motor troubleshooting. Though his preferred method of repair was " remove & replace." Worked for me, as he sent several motors home with me for practice.

Fortunately, I bought my own Megger, since the job evaporated last April, and the boss shortly after. He's not returning my calls, so I'm gonna have to figure it out on my own. I've gotten a few books on the subject, and some experience of my own from working maintenance on there for five+ years.

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Saturday, October 16, 2021, 10:27:11 AM CDT, wlw19958 <wlw-19958@...> wrote:

Hi There,

I think Tony's spindle is 13-23/32" (if I read that right).  That is only a 1/32" shorter
than yours.  The length is the least critical dimension.  The collet draw bar can
easily span that difference.  Both lathes have the larger spindle (the spindle hole
is listed as 1-3/8" which is the larger spindle).

I'm curious about the electrical controls on Bill's lathe.  The card indicates that it
has a non reversible motor starter.  The "West DE-10N MTR. 10-100 Watchman
Style" doesn't imply anything to me.  If it still has the original motor and controls,
it would be interesting to know what they are and may shed light on the meaning
of the description on the serial number card.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb