Re: SB 9" 3C Collet Nosepiece Insert Source ?

Bill in OKC too

I enjoy running my mouth/keyboard, and it makes me happy when folks like that. I hope I'm helping other folks realize that if I can do it, they can too. If they want to. This past week I have been playing with the Smithy 3-in-1 machine. It is NOT a South Bend. I looked into buying one before I bought my first lathe, the HF 7x10, and decided that having to change setups all the time would be a waste of what little shop time I was getting. And since the problems I had with the 7x10 were me, not the machine, things wouldn't have been any better. Now that I have a clue, and two other lathes running, the Atlas & HF, I'm making a big push to get all my machines running. Wife bought me the 10L for Christmas of 2018. It's been sitting here in pieces since I brought it home, but it needs the most work of any of my machines, so it's last in line.

Today, I need to fix the parts washer so I can clean the Smithy spindle parts. found the notchy bearing, and am hoping that a good cleaning & removeal of 24yo dried grease and replacement with good grease will save it. If not, I'll buy a new one. One step at a time. Once all the other machines are fixed, and ready to run, I start on the 10L. it's gonna need more than a bit of work, as it spent at least 5 years in a leaky barn, among other things.

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Friday, October 15, 2021, 11:58:06 AM CDT, david pennington via groups.io <davidwpennington@...> wrote:

I sure enjoy your reports of progress, both with your shop/machines, and with your training.

David W. Pennington
Denver, Colorado
720-442-3744

On Friday, October 15, 2021, 10:46:51 AM MDT, Bill in OKC too via groups.io <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:

Can buy one of these, and make your own thread protector, if you like: https://www.mcmaster.com/nuts/thread-size~1-1-2-8/

Some minor modification to make it just what you want for popping the collet sleeve back out.

I've mentioned that I'm a cheap bastrich, right? You could make your own, if you can cut 1-1/2-8 internal threads yourself, too. I can't yet, Couple more lessons in class to learn that. Anyone care to guess what I'm going to be making when I'm supposed to be working on the class project? Also need one for my SB Heavy 10L, with the 2-1/4-8tpi spindle nose. I have already made stub spindles for both machines so I don't have to go to the machine to test fit stuff I make for it.

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Friday, October 15, 2021, 11:25:13 AM CDT, mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

        these folks have one

        http://www.mymachineshop.net/product_p/10146.htm

        You will also need one of these if you don't have one to remove the adapter , though I can't say for sure this protector will work on a SB .

        http://www.mymachineshop.net/product_p/10089.htm

        animal

On 10/14/2021 5:40 AM, Sam wrote:

SB 9"  3C Collet Nosepiece Insert Source ?

Who sells the headstock spindle nosepiece for 3 C  collets ?