Re: Old South Bend lathe - Help with ID?

Steve Wells

I have OCD Roger…LOL, it’s a curse most of the time!

I can see the shifter knob peaking out just above the hand wheel.

Also I have a pristine 1935 405 bed that Turk send me a few years ago that I’ve slowly

been converting to a Model A. I’ve had to modify/mill the bed to accept the A-B apron, so

I’m familiar with the lower casting of the newer bed and the older ones. I can’t change the feet

without making an adaptor plate. I’m just going to leave the original feet on it and fill the

old casting hole for the wiring, although I’d really like to have the early 1947 intermediate style bed feet.

Steve

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of Roger Bickers via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, October 6, 2021 11:35 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Old South Bend lathe - Help with ID?

Damn Steve,  how'd you see those knobs for the feeds?  Must not be on a phone like I am. Lol

Roger

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 11:31 AM, Steve Wells

<wswells@...> wrote:

This is a Workshop Catalog number 477, 6-speed Model B, made between late 1939 and late 1945.

It has a keyed lead screw with an A-B apron, old style bed feet, bed mount switch with the wiring hole in the

left bed foot. Post the serial number for us for a more accurate ship date.

Steve

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Faust via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, October 6, 2021 7:52 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] Old South Bend lathe - Help with ID?

Need help with ID. I'm thinking early 9", but could it be a "Junior". Sorry for bad pictures, a little crowded in there.

Join SouthBendLathe@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.